We are a Title I School
Components of Title I are:
- Effective Instruction
- Professional Development
- Parental Involvement
Studies show that the more parents are involved in the education of their child, the more academically successful that child will be. The goal of the Title 1 Parent Involvement program is to give school-based Parent involvement Facilitators information, materials and resources to enable them to provide for their parents at the school-level. It is the job of the Facilitator to give parents the tools and resources necessary for them to help their child at home.
The Title 1 State Wide Program provides Doris Sanders Learning Center with additional funding for supplemental academic support. Becoming a Title 1 school is determined by the number of children in the school receiving free or reduced price meals.
The district develops a plan each year that is submitted to the Florida Department of Education to describe the resources that will be provided with these funds. Examples of support that may be provided are: additional classroom teachers, resource teachers, supplemental classroom materials and equipment, professional development for teachers, parental involvement activities, and after-school tutoring. Information about this plan is available in the Title 1 office. Parent input regarding this plan is solicited each year.
Title 1 schools develop a School Improvement Plan each year and include information in the plan about how their Title 1 funds will be used to support the academic program in the school. The plans are developed with input from school staff, parents, and the School Advisory Council. School Improvement Plans are available at each individual school site, and information about the plans is provided upon request.
Title 1 requires that parents become involved in their child’s education. At DSLC we strive to make parents feel welcome at school. We want to be a resource for the parents and work with them to provide their student the best education possible. Watch for our upcoming events to find activities in which you may become involved.
Links and Resources
- Polk County School District Main Page
- District Title I Web Page
- Title 1 Parent Involvement
- COMPACT 2017 – 2018 english
- COMPACT 2017 – 2018 spanish
- 2017 – 2018 SIP Document
- 2017 – 2018 Right to Know Letter english
- 2017 – 2018 Right to Know Letter haitian – creole
- 2017 – 2018 Right to Know Letter spanish
- Polk County Parent and Family Engagement Plan 8-26-2017 MJL
- Polk County Parent and Family Engagement Plan 8-26-2017 MJL spanish
- HC Title 1 Parent & Family Engagment Plan 2017 – 18 english
- HC Title 1 Parent & Family Engagment Plan 2017 – 18 spanish
- HC Polk County PFEP 8-26-2017 MJL
- Parent Guide